ACEO #37 - a weird shoe ?
Title: Untitled (for now)
Medium: Prismacolor colored pencils & ink
Paper: 100lb Smooth bristol
Size: 2.5" x 3.5"
Here are some WIP (work in progress) pics of my latest ACEO (2.5"x3.5" artwork.) This ACEO was done in Prismacolor colored pencil & ink, and features a clear platform shoe with water inside.
1. I sketched everything lightly in pencil first, then inked the outlines.
2. I started coloring in the water with different shades of blue
3. I added color to the mermaid & clown fish, along with some shadows in the bottom of the water to add more depth.
4. I colored the sole of the shoe black. The shoe strap seemed like it would be more interesting if it were clear, so I let the black sole run through the strap area, giving the strap a transparent look. I also added some light shading to the strap & the heel.
5. I added shadows & lightened some areas throughout the piece to give it more depth. I also added a "floor". The scribbles you see around the edge of the paper are from me cleaning the tips of my pencils. I do this to get rid of bits of wax accumulated from other colors while blending.
Here's the finished piece:
The mermaid's face is approximately 4mm long and it was done with pencils that have very sharp tips. When adding the lips & nose I only touched the paper lightly with my pencil tips get the finest lines possible.