Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Hypnotist - ATC2

This is an ATC2 I created specifically for JoE. ATC2 stands for "Artists' Trading Cards: Generation 2". Any art card between 2" & 6" in any direction qualifies as an ATC2. The standard size for ATC2's is 2" x 3.5" (business card size.) JoE is the founder of ATC2, and he & Amy run a private group for artists who create this specific type of artwork. They are both very supportive leaders, and awesome artists. The artwork pictured was part of an ATC2 swap - JoE sent me some of his work, and I sent him some of mine. This swap was really nice because we like each other's work, but usually can't afford to buy from each other. Work in progress pics for this ATC2 are below :D

Title: "The Hypnotist"

Date: Feb 6, 2006

Medium: Prismacolor Colored Pencils & some ink

Paper: 100lb Smooth Bristol

About this Project:
This is not meant to be a lesson, I'm just showing a work in progress =) 
This is an ACEO (2.5"x3.5" artwork).  ACEO stands for Art Cards, Editions & Originals.  ACEOs are miniature works of art that are enjoyed by art collectors around the world.  

Pic 1: JoE likes unique & interesting things like monsters, so I inked a creature holding a monster in a balloon. The creature is a hypnotist.

Pic 2: I lightly shaded the hypnotist, and put some green into the background (looks like yellow in the pic, but it's green). I chose green because I know JoE likes this color. :)

Pic 3: I added more color to the creature's face & body.

Pic 4: I filled in the rest of the creature's body, & started working on his eye & the background.

Pic 5: I worked on the background more. It's more greeny and interesting now

Pic 6: Added more detail to the eye and some shadows all around

Pic 7: Here's the finished ATC2 again. I cut off the excess paper & scanned the drawing with a dime for size reference.  Finished size: 2"x3.5".  (standard ATC2 Size).

8 Comments:

Blogger Powpourri said...

These colors are just beautiful! I love how you were able to share your process step by step, it is fun to see work in the making! Brandi

2/15/2006 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

freakin amazing, girlfriend!!!!! prismacolor should sponsor you... you know, like as their premier "athlete" :)

2/15/2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger orion713 said...

I agree Freakin Amazing! What is on the belly of that leetle monster? :)

2/15/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very nice illo!

2/15/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Joseph Chiang said...

thanks jane! now i'm not only the proud owner of this masterpiece, i can also enjoy the bonus of how the piece is created 'behind the scenes'!

2/15/2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Wonderful Jane! You have such a great imagination :)

2/16/2006 1:06 AM  
Blogger Olga Ziskin said...

What a unique piece - thanks for sharing :)

2/16/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger ottoblotto said...

Jane, the eye is so glassy; I am in awe of your work!

2/17/2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home