Sunday, January 22, 2006

ACEO #30 - "Yin-Yang Koi" (SOLD)

Title: Yin-Yang Koi (SOLD)

Date: Jan 22, 2006

Medium: Prismacolor Colored Pencils & some ink

Paper: 100lb Smooth Bristol

About this Project: This was my entry for the January 2006 Nibblefest Art Contest.
This is not meant to be a lesson, I'm just showing a work in progress =) 
This is an ACEO (2.5"x3.5" artwork).  ACEO stands for Art Cards, Editions & Originals.  ACEOs are miniature works of art that are enjoyed by art collectors around the world.  

Pic 1: I penciled everything first & inked the koi, lotus, and turtles.

Pic 2: I've started adding color to the koi & lotus

Pic 3: Here I'm working on the background, the most time-consuming part of the whole drawing.

Pic 4: I worked on the background some more, filling in most of the dark areas.

Pic 5: Now I've colored in the turtles & added more detail to the lotus.

Pic 6: I cleaned up the background and added more shading and detail to the whole drawing, it's almost finished now :)

Pic 7: I cut off the excess paper & scanned my drawing with a dime for size reference.  The finished size is 2.5" x 3.5" (ACEO size).  The sakura (cherry blossom) flowers in the space between the koi are part of a hidden yin-yang, and the koi represent another yin-yang.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jane!!!! i'm going to lose my mind, i see the tiny little turtles and this is so beautiful!!!! i'm tongue tied, clearly. must bid on this NOW...

1/23/2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger orion713 said...

Jane this is the best one yet!

1/23/2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger orion713 said...

Well...except for my rad tiny rocket I bought from you. :)

1/23/2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger ottoblotto said...

I love seeing a work in progress like this. It is like a window into the artist's mind. Fascinating!

1/23/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger katat0nik said...

Aww you guys are so sweet:) It's an honor to have other artists comment on my work!!

1/26/2006 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home