Wednesday, March 29, 2006

ACEO #37 - a weird shoe ?

Title: Untitled (for now)
Medium: Prismacolor colored pencils & ink
Paper: 100lb Smooth bristol
Size: 2.5" x 3.5"

Here are some WIP (work in progress) pics of my latest ACEO (2.5"x3.5" artwork.)  This ACEO was done in Prismacolor colored pencil & ink, and features a clear platform shoe with water inside.


1. I sketched everything lightly in pencil first, then inked the outlines.

 


2. I started coloring in the water with different shades of blue

 


3. I added color to the mermaid & clown fish, along with some shadows in the bottom of the water to add more depth.

 


4. I colored the sole of the shoe black. The shoe strap seemed like it would be more interesting if it were clear, so I let the black sole run through the strap area, giving the strap a transparent look.  I also added some light shading to the strap & the heel.

 


5. I added shadows & lightened some areas throughout the piece to give it more depth.  I also added a "floor".  The scribbles you see around the edge of the paper are from me cleaning the tips of my pencils. I do this to get rid of bits of wax accumulated from other colors while blending.

 

Here's the finished piece:

CLOSE UP

The mermaid's face is approximately 4mm long and it was done with pencils that have very sharp tips. When adding the lips & nose I only touched the paper lightly with my pencil tips get the finest lines possible.

 

9 Comments:

Blogger Olga Ziskin said...

Jane, that is so creative! I can't imagine walking in those shoes, which is good for the mermaid, I guess. But wow - 4 mm face!!! How do you sharpen your pencils? I'm glad to see you new work up here - always a mini celebration :)

3/29/2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Olga Ziskin said...

Ok I have to go back here because I realized how deep it is behind the creativity and cuteness of the image. In Anderson's Little Mermaid, the mermaid trades her tail for a pair of beautiful legs, the trade-off being knive-like pain with every step. I see those huge platform shoes as a trap for the mermaid fooled into believing they are walking "tools." Or am I thinking too deep? I don't know..that's what I see :)

3/29/2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Oh good connection Olga, yes I can see it! This is a truly amazing piece Jane, I love the way you've done her fishy scales.
Back in the 70s I used to wear platforms like that (minus the mermaid natch). What was I thinking?
:)

3/30/2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger Joseph Chiang said...

way cool!

3/30/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger orion713 said...

I see what Oz is saying...pretty interesting. Wonderful piece Jane. :)

3/30/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger MareAmaro said...

transparent and watery...looks good also for a design shoe project!

4/01/2006 6:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i absolutely love this one! hope i can snag it at auction :)

4/03/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Mary Jill Lemieur said...

Hi Jane...what a cool piece!! I love it!

4/05/2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger JAN said...

What a wonderful work in progress and offers a real valuable insight to a novice like me...you are a truly wonderful artist and inspirational soul...your blog is a must see your art a must have..

4/06/2006 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home