Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Work In Progress - Domino Art (unfinished)

Title: Untitled (Unfinished)

Date: Jan 25, 2006

Medium: Winsor & Newton Griffin Alkyd Paints

Canvas: 2" x 1" Domino

About this Project: (unfinished) This is my first time painting a domino (actually it's my first time painting on anything tiny.)  Let's hope it doesn't get messed up! This is not meant to be a lesson, I'm just showing a work in progress =) 

This is what my domino looks like so far.  It's not finished yet - but hopefully it will be by tomorrow.  Work-in-progress pics are below.

 

Pic 1: First I penciled in the koi & lotus.

Pic 2: I painted the background with different shades of blue.  At this point I'm not sure exactly what I want my background to look like, but I know it's going to be blue...

Pic 3: I started painting the lotus, using a medium-dark shade first

Pic 4: Here I started painting the koi

Pic 5: Now I have added more color to the background, adding a little depth to the water.

Pic 6: I fixed up the lotus, adding highlights and shadows.  I also touched up the koi, defining the shape a little.

Pic 7: I played with the background colors some more, adding green,  leafy details under the lotus, and lighter blue above the koi.  I've decided to cover up the 3 "bubbles" that were unpainted.

Pic 8: (larger view of Pic7) This is what the domino looks like now, unfinished.  I will post more WIP pics when it's done :) 

8 Comments:

Blogger ottoblotto said...

I love watching you bring these pieces to life. The work in progress series is fascinating!

1/25/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Joseph Chiang said...

i love it! i love it when artists paint on something other than anything meant to be painted on! do i make sense?

1/25/2006 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, JoE, it does... and i really really love this one myself!!!

1/26/2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Sal said...

this is great - I love your wip stuff and the fact that you could wear this really appeals to me! Keep going.

1/26/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger katat0nik said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like the WIP pics - it's always hard to decide when to actually stop and take pictures of the work.

JoE - I totally understand what you mean. It's like how you draw on cardboard - very cool ;)

1/26/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Hi Jane, new here and thought I'd pop by and say hello. I agree the WIP is so interesting, I love seeing how artworks are constructed, yours are always amazing!

1/27/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Olga Ziskin said...

wow you mean you're not done? It's coming out beautifully, Jane!

1/27/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger katat0nik said...

Hey Fran & Olga! Welcome to blogland :D I have not worked on this domino in a while...ooops

It's because the paint thinner fumes are irritating my throat. I want to try and get this finished soon though!

1/27/2006 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home